It’s finally here – Negroni Week (13-19 September) has officially begun. To celebrate, we’ve rounded up seven of the best twists out there and asked their creators for the inspiration behind them. And you can get involved too – scroll to the bottom to learn about our Negroni Week competition.
Count Camillo Negroni or General Pascal Oliver Comte de Negroni? Who invented the classic cocktail, the Negroni? It’s a question that has been posed by drinks historians, writers and Master of Malt’s own Henry Jeffreys with opposing – or non-committal – views.
What we do know though is that the vibrant, bitter aperitif – classically made using equal measures gin, vermouth and Campari – has been enjoying a prolonged revival in the UK since 2009. Step inside any bar or restaurant in the UK and you’d do well to find one that doesn’t serve a Negroni.
Twelve years since the great Negroni revival and it shows no signs of waning. The Guardian called it “the cocktail of 2021” and you can even buy them ready-made in a bottle, a can or a pouch. And while we love the original, we thought we’d celebrate 2021’s Negroni Week, 13-19 September, with some of the best twists on the classic being served in bars across town.
From swapping gin for Tequila, infusing mixes with herbs and giving them a fruity component, we asked the makers and shakers for the story behind their creations. They even gave us the full recipes so you can try your hand at home*.
*Though some of them are pretty involved, so we’ve divided them up into ones to attempt and ones that should be left to the professionals.
You’ve been warned.
Ones to try at home
Credit: Shots London
“Wanky” Negroni, FAM Bar
7.5ml Fords Gin
17.5ml Singani 63
25ml Londinio Aperitivo
12.5ml Punt e Mes
12.5ml Londinio Rosé Vermouth
Build and serve over ice with an orange slice garnish.
“I wanted to play on the idea of the multiple ingredient “Wanky” Negroni and create something that actually wasn’t that wanky and satisfied both hardcore bitter drinks fans like myself and people just edging into that bitter realm with a twist on a Negroni that will fulfil both varying palates.” Tatjana Sendzimir, bar manager.
200ml Martini Rosso
200ml Pago de Tharsys cava (or another sparkling wine)
Combine all ingredients in a carafe with ice and share.
“We love it because it’s delicious, and it’s a fizzy and low-abv alternative.” Monica Berg, bar co-owner.
Nebula Negroni, Nebula
25ml East London Liquor Gin
25ml Carpano Bitter
25ml Punt E Mes Sweet Vermouth
Combine ingredients and infuse with basil until you have the flavour you want. You can store it in a bottle. When serving, garnish with orange slice and basil leaf.
“At Nebula, we’re proud of our awesome pizzas, so we wanted to pay homage to their Italian birthplace and really cement the link with our Negronis by infusing our blend with dried basil. We use East London Liquor Co gin not just because it’s awesome, but because it’s made just down the road (neighbourhoods are the future!). We finish our blend with Carpano bitter and the powerfully herbaceous Punt E Mes vermouth, so all things sing together in a herby take on the classic that pairs perfectly with our pizzas.” Nate Brown, bar owner
40ml La Vie en Rosé or another Provence rosé
20ml Lillet Rose Vermouth
Stir down, strain into a rocks glass and garnish with grapefruit.
“It’s a Negroni, in the south of France and it’s sunny. I made the drink for a festival in Nice where we needed a bitter drink that had a slightly lower abv yet had the feel of the area. Using a Campari to follow the brief but pull the bitterness for the beverage paired with a Provence rosé allowed for the elegance of the area. Finished off with slight fruity and aroma of Lillet Rose gave a Negroni that you could drink throughout the summer days at a festival.” Callum Dunne, bar manager
Leave it to the professionals:
45ml Pandan-infused Tapatio Reposado Tequila
22.5ml Cocchi Vermouth di Torino
15ml coconut water
7.5ml cold-brew coffee
Build in rocks glass with a large ice cube, stir and serve.
“The Pandan Negroni was created after we discovered how delicious Reposado Tequila incorporates with pandan [a herbaceous tropical plant]. The pandan brings out all the green aspects of the Tequila while enhancing the barrel spice notes and softening the acidity. The almond flavour coming from the leaf also plays off the coconut water, which is the only component which dilutes the cocktail, giving it more body and a rounder finish.” Pietro Collina, bar director.
Rhubarb and Tarragon Negroni, Publiq
22.5ml Belvedere Heritage 176 malt spirit
2.5ml Tarragon-infused Sipsmith VJOP
25ml Rhubarb-cooked bitter blend
25ml Vermouth rosso blend
25ml Mineral water
Have all ingredients stored cold in the fridge. Pour all ingredients in a rock glass over an ice block. Garnish with an orange slice.
“When looking for a new flavour for our seasonal Negroni, rhubarb was at the peak of its flavour, with lovely fruity and earthy notes, making it an obvious choice for us. Tarragon, with its fresh menthol and anise aroma, brought freshness to this favourite of the summer.” Greg Almeida, bar co-owner.
20ml passion fruit vermouth
20ml Victory house gin
2.5ml passion berry vodka
0.08ml MSK passionfruit flavour drops
Stir over ice and strain into a rocks glass with block ice and garnish with an orange wedge.
“We have had a house Negroni on our menu since the day we opened. We decided that we would make a sweet vermouth in house, from a seasonal fruit rather than from grapes. The passion fruit was the latest in the line of fruits we chose to work on, more as a challenge as they don’t contain much in the way of juice, and they are high in acid so hard to ferment. We actually ended up soaking the fruits in a mixture of water and sugar, and then letting that ferment. We also made an Oleo Saccharum with sugar and the spare fruit, so that ended up being the sweetness in the vermouth. We also add a passion berry infusion to this Negroni, as it brings some extra complexity and aroma that ties nicely to passionfruit.” Alan Sherwood, bar owner.
Show us your Negroni with a twist recipe, for a chance to win a Jaffa Cake Gin Negroni bundle! Post a video or image on your Instagram feed (not Instagram Story), showcasing your creative “Negroni with a twist” cocktail recipe; and include the hashtag #momnegronitwist (so we can locate your entry)! Comp opens 12:00:00 BST on 13 September 2021 and closes at 23:59:59 BST on 26 September 2021. Full T&Cs below. Open to 18+ or legal drinking age only. The best and most creative entry wins.
View Full Terms and Conditions.
MoM Negroni Week 2021 Competition T&Cs
- PROMOTER: The promoter of this competition is Atom Supplies Limited (company number 03193057), trading as Master of Malt (MoM), whose registered office is Unit 1 Ton Business Park, 2-8 Morley Road, Tonbridge, Kent, TN9 1RA, United Kingdom.
- ELIGIBILITY: This competition is only open to individuals who are 18 years or older (or of legal drinking age in the country which they are a resident of). Ineligible entries (howsoever received) will be discarded. The competition is not open to any employees (and their immediate family) of the promoter or any of its associated companies. MoM reserves the right to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) at any time and reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who, or any entry which, it believes has breached any of these terms, tampered with the entry process or engaged in any unlawful or improper conduct which may undermine the fair and proper conduct of this competition.
- ENTRY PERIOD: This competition opens at 12:00:00 BST on 13 SEPTEMBER 2021 and closes at 23:59:59 BST on 26 SEPTEMBER 2021.
- HOW TO ENTER: To enter, individuals must complete the following steps within the entry period:
- post a video or image on your Instagram feed (not Instagram Story), showcasing your creative “Negroni with a twist” cocktail recipe; and
- include the hashtag #momnegronitwist (so we can locate your entry)!
Only one entry is permitted per entrant per handle.
- WINNER(S): There will be 1 prize for 1 winner. All eligible entries received within the entry period will be reviewed and judged by a selected panel at MoM shortly after the entry period closes. The entrant with the best and most creative entry will be selected as the winner.
- THE PRIZE: The winner will win a prize consisting of: (1) a 70cl bottle of Jaffa Cake Gin; (2) a 70cl bottle of Campari; and (3) a 70cl bottle of Martini Rosso Vermouth (or other red vermouth in promoter’s sole discretion), including packaging and carriage. The prize is provided by the promoter and it is strictly non-negotiable, non-transferable, and cannot be exchanged for any equivalent cash value, cash alternative, or for other items.
- SHIPPING RESTRICTIONS: The prize can only be delivered to a valid address provided by the winner, which is also one of the destinations that MoM ships to. See here for guidance regarding the destinations to which we can ship.
- CLAIMING THE PRIZE: The name of the winner will be announced on MoM’s blog and/or the relevant social media channel as soon as practicable upon selection. MoM will make reasonable efforts to contact the winner via email or by telephone as soon as practicable. If any winner cannot be contacted or is not available or has not claimed the prize within 5 days of MoM contacting them, MoM reserves the right to offer the prize to another eligible entrant. MoM cannot accept any responsibility if any winner is unable to take up the prize or fails to claim the prize within the time limit as set out above. MoM may contact the winner for feedback in respect of the competition and/or prize and may use any feedback provided when announcing the results and promoting the Competition or subsequent competitions.
- ORIGINAL ENTRY CONTENT ONLY: Let’s be sensible, people. Any content submitted to MoM, howsoever submitted, for the purposes of entering the competition must only be original material. By entering this competition, entrants warrant and undertake that their entry does not infringe any third party rights. Entrants agree to indemnify the promoter from and against any and all third party claims or liabilities relating to or arising out of the content submitted by them or their breach of any of these terms.
- ACCEPTABLE ENTRY CONTENT: All entry content must strictly comply with the MoM’s Acceptable Use Policy. In particular, any material which depicts, describes, encourages, endorses or normalises the excessive consumption of alcohol; the consumption of alcohol by those under the age of 25; anti-social behaviour (including any criminal activity) or irresponsible drinking (including rapid drinking); links the consumption of alcohol with popularity or other social success, bravado, technical skill, good fortune, the operation of vehicles or other machinery or therapeutic benefits; or which depicts the consumption of alcohol whilst potentially dangerous activities are being undertaken will be disqualified.
- ENTRY OWNERSHIP: By entering this competition, entrants agree that all right, title and interest in their entries will belong absolutely to the promoter. Entrants agree to irrevocably assign with full title guarantee and free from all third party rights, all intellectual property rights in and to any content submitted with their entry. MoM shall have the right to use, exploit, adapt and edit any content submitted (or part thereof) throughout the universe in perpetuity. By entering this competition, entrants waive all moral rights which they are or become entitled to under Chapter IV of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (or any similar right or entitlement anywhere in the world). Entrants agree to sign any additional documentation which may be required to give effect to this paragraph.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: Insofar as is permitted by law, the promoter, its agents, employees, and/or representatives shall in no circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate any entrant who participates in the competition and/or the winner and their guest(s) who claim(s) the prize for any loss, damage, personal injury or death whatsoever and howsoever caused, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, for any direct, indirect or consequential losses arising out of or in connection with their participation in this competition, any failure or delays or postponements or cancellations in making the appropriate travel and accommodation arrangements as a result of the winner taking up the prize (including in relation to their guests), except where it is caused by the negligence of the promoter, its agents, employees, and/or authorised representatives. Competition entrants’ statutory rights are not affected.
- GENERAL: All decisions relating to this competition will be made in MoM’s absolute discretion and will be final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into. Should a social media channel be used for this competition, MoM confirms that this competition is not sponsored or endorsed by the social media platform identified herein and said social media platform is in no way affiliated to or associated with MoM. By entering this competition, users agree to release that social media channel from any and all liability related to this competition. These terms shall be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the -exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
© 2021 Master of Malt. All rights reserved.