Between the mid 17th and 19th centuries, the sailors of the Royal Navy were granted a daily ration of rum. This was afforded them by the ship’s Purser. The term Purser was gradually corrupted 'til it became Pusser. Before 1740, the daily ration included an entire pint of rum which was consumed neat. Before a battle, a double rum ration was issued. In fact, it was not before 1970 that the daily issue of rum was abolished, when the Admiralty Board deemed it unsuitable. The modern brand Pusser’s was founded by Charles Tobias, a sailor and businessman. Tobias resurrected Pusser’s rum in 1979, using the original blending recipe which he had been given by the Admiralty. Today, the blend is the same as it was on British warships, using five West Indian rums. The blend contains mostly pot-still rum which proffers a decidedly distinct spirit.