About Glenury Whisky Distillery
1940 – American National Distillers buys ASD.
25 – Captain Robert Barclay, MP and Laird of Ury, founds the distillery which is named Glenurie.
Captain Barclay receives permission to use the word Royal by William IV.
Captain Barclay dies.
58 – The distillery is put up for auction and it is bought by William Ritchie of Glasgow. The Ritchie family retain ownership until 1936.
– No production takes place.
The owner Lord Stonehaven, who probably was the real owner while the Ritchie family leased the distillery, sells the distillery to the Glenury Distillery Company, with Joseph William Hobbs in it, for £7 500.
Glenury Distillery Company sells the distillery for £18 500 to Associated Scottish Distillers (ASD), where J. W. Hobbs is one of the owners.
Distillers Company Limited (DCL) buys ASD from National Distillers and transfers Glenury Royal to Scottish Malt Distillers.
Substantial refurbishing takes place and the number of stills double to four.
Own maltings cease.
The distillery is mothballed.
United Distillers decides not to open Glenury Royal for production and sells the buildings to an estate company.
A 29 year old cask strength is launched in the Rare Malts series.
498 bottles of a 50 year old Glenury Royal are launched.
A 36 year old is launched as a Special Release from Diageo.
Reproduced from the Malt Whisky Yearbook 2009 with the kind permission of Mr Ingvar Ronde