In 1956, the American company, Publicker Industries of Philadelphia established a blended Scotch whisky called Inver House Rare. Publicker Industries established Inver House Distillers Ltd in 1964. A whisky distilling complex at Airdrie was acquired in March of 1964 to help cope with demand. Mr S S Neuman, the chairman of Publicker Industries, passed away and the company focussed less on Scotch whisky production and the distilleries at Airdrie were closed down.
Inver House underwent a management buyout in 1988 and the company was since sold to the Pacific Spirits Group in 2001. The company is now a subsidiary of Thai Beverages following their acquisition of Pacific Spirits Group. Inver House currently own the distilleries: Old Pulteney, Speyburn, Balblair, Knockdhu and Balmenach.