Founded in 2005, Wemyss (pronounced ‘Weems’) has an interesting claim to their place in whisky history. Back in 1824 when John Haig built Cameron Bridge it was on the Wemyss family land that he did so. As the Haig family were perhaps responsible for the earliest Scotch whisky distillation way back in the 17th century, it is a particularly good tale to be a part of!
Perhaps more relevant however is the Wemyss family’s more recent background in premium wine, knowledge that has been utilised in the release of several excellent blended malts. Assisted by Charles Maclean each release has been named after a “distinct taste profile” such as their Spice King (which is spicy) or the fantastically named Smooth Gentleman (which is smoooth…). Even their single casks follow the same formula, for example their Rum 'n' Raisin 1989 (Tullibardine).
They make gin too, you know: Darnley’s Gin, named after Lord Darnley, Mary Queen of Scots’ husband whom she met at Wemyss Castle. (Yep, there’s even a castle involved here and like any self-respecting castle, it comes complete with its own ghost…)