2 250 000 litres
Near Port Ellen, Islay, Argyll
John Johnston founds the distillery.
John Johnston takes over the adjacent distillery Ardmore founded in 1817 by Archibald Campbell and closed in 1821.
Production at Ardmore ceases.
Both distilleries are merged and operated under the name Lagavulin by Donald Johnston.
The brother of the wine and spirits dealer Alexander Graham, John Crawford Graham, purchases the distillery.
The distillery is acquired by James Logan Mackie & Co. and refurbishment starts.
Peter Mackie is employed.
James Logan Mackie passes away and nephew Peter Mackie inherits the distillery.
J. L. Mackie & Co. changes name to Mackie & Co. Peter Mackie launches White Horse onto the export market with Lagavulin included in the blend. White Horse blended is not available on the domestic market until 1901.
Peter Mackie uses the old distillery buildings to build a new distillery, Malt Mill, on the site. Mackie had previously been agent for Laphroaig but the owners were not content and terminated the contract. Malt Mill was an attempt by Mackie to compete and force Laphroaig out of the market.
Peter Mackie passes away and Mackie & Co. changes name to White Horse Distillers.
White Horse Distillers becomes part of Distillers Company Limited (DCL).
The distillery is administered under Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD).
An explosive fire breaks out and causes considerable damage.
Malt Mills distillery closes and today it houses Lagavulin’s visitor centre.
Floor maltings are decommisioned and malt is bought from Port Ellen instead.
Lagavulin 16 years becomes one of six Classic Malts.
A Pedro Ximenez sherry finish is launched as a Distillers Edition.
Two cask strengths (12 years and 25 years) are launched.
A 30 year old is released.
A 21 year old from 1985 and the sixth edition of the 12 year old are released.
A new 12 year old is released.
Reproduced from the Malt Whisky Yearbook 2009 with the kind permission of Mr Ingvar Ronde