Ian Macleod and Company was founded on the 26th October 1933. Today the company produces a number of spirits, though it is most centred on Scotch whisky. Leonard Russell Sr was a whisky broker and it was his family that acquired Ian Macleod on the 18th March 1963, with Peter Russell as the managing director.
The first brand was acquired during that year, namely Isle of Skye blended whisky. Peter’s brother, David became the director in 1964 and he stayed with the company until 2000. Over the course of the 20th century, Ian Macleod acquired a gin brand as well as further Scotch brands. At the turn of the millennium, Watson’s rum was acquired and the name was changed to Ian Macleod Distillers in 2003 with the acquisition of the Glengoyne distillery and the Langs brand.