In 1825, George Cooper founded the Glencadam whisky distillery. The distillery changed hands several times during the 19th century, but only twice in the 20th century. In July of 1954, Andrew Stevenson and Harry Southwell sold Glencadam to Hiram Walker for the sum of £83,400. Five years later Hiram Walker renovated the buildings and in 1987 Allied Lyons, who later became Allied Domecq, purchased the distillery from them, who by then had also changed to Hiram Walker Gooderham & Worts. Allied mothballed the Glencadam distillery at the turn of the millennium and then sold it in 2003 to Angus Dundee. Despite being closed for three years, the distillery had been left in such superb condition by Allied, Angus Dundee were able to reopen it just two months after the acquisition. Glencadam was the second distillery Angus Dundee had purchased, Tomintoul being the first.
Glencadam lies a half mile from the River Esk and quenches its thirst from Loch Lee, at the River Esk's headwaters, from where the water is piped the thirty miles to the distillery. The water is very soft and produces a 'creamy' single malt; prior to closure by Allied, the distillery had supplied whisky for Stewart’s Cream of the Barley blend. The Glencadam distillery runs at capacity, its two stills producing some 1.4 million litres annually and boasting eleven warehouses, there is plenty of room for the spirit to be matured on-site in ex-bourbon casks.