The first distillery under the name Ben Wyvis was built in Dingwall in 1879, closing in 1926. Named for the rugged peak in the Highland range lying northwest of Inverness, the buildings from the site have since been used for warehousing and for commercial use. The end of the Second World War and the subsequent end of rationing brought about a great demand for malt whisky. In response, Invergordon Distillers Ltd established a new Ben Wyvis distillery in 1965 at their grain distillery.
The distillery was built with two stills and intended to supply malt whisky for Invergordon blends. Hardships at Invergordon led to closure in 1976 and it has only been comparatively recently that bottlings have surfaced on the market. Some whisky remained when Invergordon became Kyndal and two limited edition bottlings were released. Ben Wyvis’ two stills have since been used to replace those at Glengyle distillery, following Hedley Wright’s decision to reopen it after many years of whisky abstinence.