Beefeater London Dry Gin was devised by James Burrough in the latter half of the 1800s, after purchasing the Chelsea distillery in 1863 (it was founded in 1820). Though Burrough was also producing a selection of liqueurs and other gin recipes, the one named after the Tower of London’s Yeomen Warders proved very popular indeed. Even well over 100 years later, the recipe remains almost completely the same as the one made by Burrough. In 1908, the production of Beefeater was moved over to Hutton Road in Lambeth, and 50 years later it moved once again to Kennington. Beefeater’s Crown Jewel Gin, a variation on their original recipe, was launched in 1993 and discontinued in 2009, to the dismay of quite a few gin fans (who rejoiced when it was reintroduced in 2015). Desmond Payne became the Beefeater Master Distillery in 1995.