The first distillery to be established in Tullamore was founded in 1829 by Michael Molloy. Following his death, the distillery was acquired by the Daly Family and run by Captain Bernard Daly. Daniel E Williams superceded Daly as General Manager and leant his initials, D.E.W. to their whisky, thus the Dew in Tullamore Dew. The whisky quickly gained a sterling reputation. In 1963, the distillery closed and the brand was sold to Powers. The Tullamore Dew brand lives on and is today owned by the William Grant and Sons Group.