In 1825, John Wray established The Shakespeare Tavern in Kingston, Jamaica. The company developed steadily and in 1860 John’s nephew, Charles James Ward, joined the business. Thus, J Wray and Nephew came into being. John Wray retired in 1862, with Ward left at the helm. The brand started out as a tavern and spirits dealer and, over time, it developed into a thriving business. At the London International Exhibition in 1862, J Wray and Nephew’s rum were awarded three gold medals. Awards and acclaim were received at various exhibitions throughout the world over the course of the 19th century. The brand was acquired by Lindo Brothers & Co in 1916. Shortly after, they purchased the Appleton Estate rum distillery. The company also employ the only female Master Blender in the industry, Joy Spencer. Today, the brand produce the world’s best-selling high strength white rum. Furthermore, J Wray and Nephew has become a massive part of Jamaica’s culture.
Spanish Town, Jamaica