About Glenrothes Whisky Distillery
5 600 000 litres
The Edrington Group
James Stuart & Co., licensees of Macallan since 1868, begins planning a new distillery in Rothes. Robert Dick and William Grant, both from Caledonian Bank and the lawyer John Cruickshank are partners in the company. Stuart has financial problems so Dick, Grant and Cruickshank terminate the partnership and form William Grant & Co. while James Stuart focuses on Macallan. William Grant & Co. takes over the building of the distillery in Rothes.
Production starts in May.
The distillery changes name to Glenrothes-Glenlivet.
William Grant & Co. joins forces with Islay Distillery Co. (owners of Bunnahabhain Distillery) and forms Highland Distillers Company.
A fire ravages the distillery in December.
An explosion causes substantial damage.
A fire breaks out in one of the warehouses.
Expansion from four to six stills.
Expansion from six to eight stills.
Expansion from eight to ten stills.
Edrington and William Grant & Sons buy Highland Distillers.
Four single cask malts from 1966 and 1967 are launched.
A 30 year old is launched together with Select Reserve and Vintage 1985.
1994 and 1975 Vintage are launched.
A 25 year old is released as a duty free item.
1978 Vintage and Robur Reserve are launched.