Delivery Login
Blog Contact Trade +44 (0)1892 888 376
My Basket
Total£0.00
You can change the currency displayed here.
click to close

Glenesk

The Glenesk was built on what was once a flax-spinning mill. In 1897, the Dundee wine merchant James Isles and Septimus Parsonage and Co converted the buildings, founding the distillery under the name Highland Esk. The name changed several times during its lifetime, the first time was in 1899, when J F Caille Heddle purchased the distillery and renamed it North Esk.

Following a devastating fire in 1910, much of the distillery had to be rebuilt. The distillery closed during the Second World War, reopening in 1938 under the name Montrose, named for the village in which it stands, at the bands of the River Esk, having been acquired by Associated Scottish Distillers. During this time the distillery had been used to produce grain whisky. In 1964, the distillery was renamed Hillside. By this time much of the whisky had been used in the famous William Sanderson blend VAT 69.

It was not until 1980 that the distillery became known as Glenesk, closing just five years later, cancelling the license 1992. The UK’s largest malt producer, Greencore Maltings Group, acquired Glenesk in 1997. Today bottlings are rare and appear under the variety of names the distillery has been entitled over the years.

Share This!

About Glenesk Whisky Distillery

Distillery Founded

1897

Distillery Owner

Diageo

Distillery Status

Dismantled

Distillery Address

Hillside, By Montrose, Angus

1897

The distillery is founded by James Isles. The first name is Highland Esk Distillery.

1898

The distillery is sold to Septimus Parsonage & Co. Ltd in London.

1899

The distillery is bought by J. F. Caille Heddle and the name changes to North Esk Distillery.

1910

A fire breaks out and the distillery has to be rebuilt.

1919

Thomas Bernard & Co. buys the distillery but only uses the maltings under the name North Esk Maltings.

1938

Production restarts headed by Joseph Hobbs and Associated Scottish Distillers. The distillery is converted into a grain distillery and the name is changed to Montrose Distillery.

1954

The distillery is bought by Distillers Company Limited (DCL) who uses the facilities for storage and malting.

1959

DCL resumes grain distilling.

1964

DCL transfers operations to Scottish Malt Distillers (SMD) who starts malt distilling. The name changes to Hillside.

1968

A large drum maltings is built adjacent to the distillery.

1980

Name changes to Glenesk Distillery & Maltings.

1985

The distillery closes in December.

1995

Hillside 1969 is launched as a Rare Malt.

1996

The last pieces of equipment are taken down. Hillside 1970 (25 years) is launched as a Rare Malt.

1997

Hillside 1971 is launched as a Rare Malt. The maltings is sold to Paul´s Malt.

Reproduced from the Malt Whisky Yearbook 2009 with the kind permission of Mr Ingvar Ronde

The Hot Enough Vodka Co
Origin Gin
That Boutique-y Whisky Company
Professor Cornelius Ampleforth
Spirit of Hven Distillery
Bruichladdich Octomore
A 1970 vintage Hillside (or Glenesk, as it was known from 1980 onwards) single malt Scotch whisky, bottled at 25 years old for the Rare Malts collection. Glenesk has had a number of names over the...  More info
£741.33
Distilled at Glen Esk in 1984 and aged for 20 years before bottling in 2004 for Gordon and MacPhail's Connoisseur's Choice range.  More info
£115.95
This Rare Old bottling from Gordon & MacPhail features single malt Scotch whisky from the closed Glenesk distillery. It was distilled way back in 1979 and bottled in 2013. As with many closed...  More info
£348.86

Recently viewed

We use cookies to help provide you with the best possible online shopping experience. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device.
Visit our privacy policy page for more information.

We Accept
Delivery Partners
Master of Malt supports responsible drinking - Sip, don't Gulp.
ATOM Supplies Ltd trading as Master of Malt. Registered office: North House, 198 High Street, Tonbridge, TN9 1BE. Registered in England & Wales. Company number 3193057, VAT number GB 662241553.